Tired of going out to buy soft pretzels? or just thought homemade pretzels are to hard to make? Well then your in for a treat. Pretzels are very easy and you only need a few ingredients, which are.
1 package (1/4) active dry yeast
1 cup of warm water (110 to115 Fahrenheit)
2 Tbs butter, softened
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbs baking soda
To start in a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.(Note: water should be warm enough to be safe to keep your finger in if its hotter then that it will kill the yeast) Add butter, sugar, salt , and 2 cups of flour;
- Beat until you have a smooth texture
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
- Once you made the dough put it in a bowl and cover it. place it somewhere warm for 20 mins to rise; it should double in size.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each of them to long stripes
- Shape them into a circle with about 3 in of each end overlapping.
- Twist the ends where they overlap
- Flip the twisted ends over the circle; placed ends around edge and pinch under
After shaping the pretzels, put water to a boil then add the baking powder ( be careful not to add it in to fast it will over flow) Drop a pretzel in and let it boil for one min. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with coarse salt ( Note: Don’t go crazy with the salt like I did, just a pinch or two will be nice ) Repeat with the rest of the pretzels.
They should look kind of bloated like this
Bake at 475 for 10-12 mins soon enough you will have these beauties dipped them in a nice cheese dip, butter, Jam or whatever you like ^^ Great for parties for just a midnight snack!!
This post was written by:
KAT VERA - (view all posts by Kat)
Kat is an aspiring pastry chef. When she isn’t in the kitchen she’s traveling space and time with Doctor Who and solving mysteries with Sherlock. Email her at email@example.com