Tired of going out to buy soft pretzels? or just thought homemade pretzels are to hard to make? Well then your in for a treat. Pretzels are very easy and you only need a few ingredients, which are.
1 package (1/4) active dry yeast
1 cup of warm water (110 to115 Fahrenheit)
2 Tbs butter, softened
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbs baking soda
To start in a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.(Note: water should be warm enough to be safe to keep your finger in if its hotter then that it will kill the yeast) Add butter, sugar, salt , and 2 cups of flour;
- Beat until you have a smooth texture
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
- Once you made the dough put it in a bowl and cover it. place it somewhere warm for 20 mins to rise; it should double in size.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each of them to long stripes
- Shape them into a circle with about 3 in of each end overlapping.
- Twist the ends where they overlap
- Flip the twisted ends over the circle; placed ends around edge and pinch under
After shaping the pretzels, put water to a boil then add the baking powder ( be careful not to add it in to fast it will over flow) Drop a pretzel in and let it boil for one min. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with coarse salt ( Note: Don’t go crazy with the salt like I did, just a pinch or two will be nice ) Repeat with the rest of the pretzels.
They should look kind of bloated like this
Bake at 475 for 10-12 mins soon enough you will have these beauties dipped them in a nice cheese dip, butter, Jam or whatever you like ^^ Great for parties for just a midnight snack!!
This post was written by:
KAT VERA - (view all posts by Kat)
Kat is a lead pastry chef. When she isn’t in the kitchen she’s traveling space and time with Doctor Who and solving mysteries with Sherlock. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org